Dr. Sambunaris’ experience helps him provide cutting-edge solutions to health issues with a traditional approach to patient care. While his practice philosophy may be a little “old-fashioned”, his ongoing commitment to doing hands-on clinical research gives him a direct line of sight into new and exciting discoveries in medicine.
The focus of his research is on anxiety disorders and depression with additional interests in the areas of obsessive/compulsive disorders, insomnia, chronic pain, insomnia, substance abuse/dependence, pain, migraine and eating disorders. To date, Dr. Sambunaris has led more than 200 studies, working with over 3,000 patients and study participants.
His background includes:
• Principal Investigator, Institute for Advanced Medical Research at Mercer University
• Founder, Atlanta Institute of Medicine & Research (renamed the Institute for Advanced Medical Research in 2014)
• Adjunct Professor, College of Pharmacy, Mercer University
• Director, Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Psychiatric Clinical Research
• Associate Director, Bayer Pharmaceuticals, Psychiatric Clinical Research
• Lieutenant Commander, United States Public Health Service